Thursday, August 30, 2007

Smile, because you make a difference everyday of your life.

=D

Thank God for the talk with Martin.(aka Mr Koh i cant really get use to calling principals by name)

Finally after joining the school for so long, the principal decided to chit chat to me for a get-to-know chit chat session and i'm really grateful for that. It was a session that set me thinking furthur and made me believe and assured my direction. Started of with just sharing about our backgrounds and stuff. He said several things that really inspired me and made me believe.

1) Leadership is about influence and the ability to lead a team (teamwork). That was what i answered when he questioned my concept of leadership. No doubt he affirmed that my council experiences had taught me well and i really thank BP council and 6th council PJ for that experience that i grown alot and put to good use now. He also taught me not to forget to set a vision. If the leader himself or herself does not have a vision of what he/her wants to achieve.. and whats the end pt to work towards to, how is the leader going to lead? After hearing, i decided not to rant about being the Band CCA teacher but really look to the challenge of leading the kids through this critical period of SYF next year. *inspired*

2) Teaching - i've so much more to learn.(while i live i learn) As he exclaims how young i was and that getting through the interview was a challenge. Once again affirmed. Made mention of the previous contract teacher who seemed like me =p He said he saw how she grew over the past year (adding the fact that there were tears behind those "growing") I had this growing anticipation for the challenge ahead. Guess i love challenges...and i am looking forward to growing!

3) WHY TEACH? - He asked me straight.. a question i asked myself too. my ans.. "As clique as it gets.. i want to make a difference" As i say it out, i felt certain. Its like all the doubts and worries and fears about my decision just disappeared. "smile, because you make a difference everyday of your life" was on the dedication video to teachers. Its something i believe in... and i see it happening in what i'm doing and through the stress i face, i love what i'm doing. Mr Koh said that many times when things get stress teachers tend to forget the actual reason why teach? and get carried away with anger and stress.... i just have to remind myself...=) was also assured of how i could always furthur my studies as how many teachers even when they come out to teach, still study for their degree! =D

4) The best teachers are dictators who act like they are not. Some teaching methods he shared with me that teaching doesnt have to be all about scolding or shouting. Because we shouldnt let ourselves lose control of our temper. But instead we have to set certain standards that they should know they need to achieve or they would have to face the consequence. As i was sharing about some problems faced in class, he taught me to believe in the children. If you believe they can do it, they will. But if even i dont believe they can do so, how would they? Believe that every child has their potential. =)

Thanksgiving to God for placing me in an environment so condusive and nice. No doubt its a blessing to have nice principals and V. Principals and a bunch of teachers who many are christians too!!!

I want to grow more as a teacher and be a good testimony =D

smile smile smile... you're making a difference doing so =)

I'm a teacher and I thank God for this calling =D

No comments: